Here's To One Swell Gal

Saturday, March 18, 2006

When Sisterhood isn't a bitch, it's actually pretty cool

I've been working non-stop the last few days in preparation for today, which was proclaimed, by the mayor herself, “sister2sister Day.” sister2sister is an annual event for middle school girls that focuses on mentor relationships with high school girls, empowerment, education, support, community connection, blah blah blah. We work on planning this day for about 10 months out of the year, and because of the tremendous amount of work it requires and the frequent snarkiness we receive from the main organizer (who I call the sister2sister Diva), bitching about this event is one of my favorite pastimes. Whenever I say “sister2sister” it is almost always accompanied with a sigh and a big eye roll.

However, I am reminded today that I am a tremendous bitch who complains too much. Because the event was awesome. Amazing and inspiring and organized and well planned and interesting and enjoyable and just plain swell overall. I smiled the entire day, and though my feet are killing me and I am still shaking from not eating enough throughout the day, I feel so proud to have been a part of this event. There’s a life lesson in there somewhere, but I used too many brain cells smiling and being supportive all day that I don’t have enough left over to figure out what it is. That and being around puffy paint too long. That'll definitely kill some brain cells.

One of the coolest parts, from my perspective, was the opening panel. We invited women from the community to speak about their lives and the many different roles they play, personally and professionally (to follow our theme: Finding Your Place: Roles Girls Play). We had the Mayor, the District Attorney and the Police Chief speak along with a few others. Yep. All those government positions are occupied by women. Tough, kick-ass, good natured women.

It is common knowledge around town that Ithaca was once voted one of the “Most Enlightened Towns” in the US. I think that is completely bullshit in general (for many reasons, some of which are racial segregation, economic disparity, and coffee shops that close way too early), but in this instance I have to give us credit: Women occupy the majority of the most powerful positions in this town and that is just plain cool, any way you slice it.

Unlike years past, the day ran so smoothly that we actually got to enjoy it. Which for me means I got to take lots of pictures. I wish I could have recorded their individual voices to go along with their pictures, because that would add so much depth to the cuteness. But alas, you'll have to use your imagination.*

*Blogger is being a bitch** and not letting me post pictures, so check back for some hard core cuteness.
**Have you noticed that I call anything that isn't doing what I want it to a bitch? This might be a personal flaw.*** I'll think about it and get back to you.
***This style of end notes^ has given new meaning to tangential.
^End notes are fun. And tangential.^^
^^Don't blame me - it's the puffy paint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter