What? A girl can't get some good entertainment for five dollars?
Because my Spanish class has a No English rule (unless you make the flapping arm movement that breaks the invisible barrier between you and the English language) and because the general focus of the class is on conversational Spanish, Florencia encourages us to say as much as possible, even if we are answering a simple question. For example, if she asked you Do you want the pencil? You should say No, I do not want the pencil instead of just saying No. Many of us make the mistake of instinctually giving one-word answers and only realize after 30 seconds of Florencia staring and raising her eyebrows suggestively at us that we should say it again, but this time in a full sentence (and with gusto).
In class that day we were practicing describing things in full sentences - time of day, location, activity, etc. We looked at black and white drawings in our textbook of different scenes - students in a classroom, people browsing through the library or buying books in a bookstore - and had to figure out as many things to say about them as possible. We even had a pleasant disagreement about whether one of the pictures was a libreria [bookstore] or biblioteca [library] (where I told that little Cornell shit head that it was a fucking LIBRERIA and that he'd better shut the hell up about it already).
Eventually Florencia broke up what was on the verge of a brawl and passed out color photographs of more scenes for us to describe. My group got a picture of 8 middle-aged women with their arms around each other all huddled together with big goofy grins on their faces and alcoholic drinks in their hands. In the background you could see they were in a bar, and on each of their wrists they had a shiny band that showed they probably paid some sort of admissions fee for something.
Florencia was asking each group to finish up their sentences, and since my group only had 3 we started to panic and get a little desperate (read: I started to panic and get a little desperate). With my group's best interest at heart I started throwing together words I vaguely knew the meaning of, but thought made sense. At the end I was pretty impressed with myself, and when Florencia got to my group I proudly read my sentence outloud to the whole class. When I finished I looked up to see Florencia's big eyes staring at me, her face bright red as she tried to hold back laughter. "Ummm. Well....Good. More or less. Ummm." I knew by the look on her face that I said something very different than I had intended. She made the flapping, barrier-breaking motion with her arms and said in a very low voice "You have to be careful about meaning. Context." and then quickly switched back to her Spanish alter-ego before anyone could ask any questions about what I said.
And actually, I don't really know what I said. But I used the words Entertainment, Men, Five Dollars, and Night and, because I don't yet understand context, probably said something the equivalent of "The women are looking for cheap male hookers for five dollars."

1 Comments:
HA! I don't think that is out of context. Good job Tash, good job.
Post a Comment
<< Home