Here's To One Swell Gal

Monday, March 13, 2006

Couldn'ta said it better myself

Just when life starts to calm down and maybe even get a little boring, leave it to a sneaky little disk in my back to stir things up.

Over the past two weeks I've had two major episodes of back pain that pretty much come out of nowhere. And doctors always ask - What did you do? Lift anything heavy? Over exert yourself? Engage in particularly acrobatic sex? But my answers are always the same: Nothing, No, No, and I wish.

Maybe the problem is that my vertebrae and disk just can’t get along. They try for a while, but eventually get sick of each other, exchange verbal blows and pull each other’s hair until the older, bigger vertebrae ends up karate chopping my little disk out of position.

Sunday morning (after not engaging in any of the aforementioned activities) I got out of bed and felt a little bit of a strain in my back. As the morning went on it got progressively worse, and by Monday morning I was having trouble walking (and sitting and standing and laying and eating and pooping and laughing). I got myself to my chiropractor/kinesiologist as fast as I could.

I have often said that my chiropractor has super-human-pain-detecting strength. It's like her fingers have little pain magnets in them. You’ll be laying there and she’ll poke her fingers somewhere on you and YOW! She finds pain that you never knew you had (and I think, as an aside, she gets great pleasure from it).

I was laying on my back on one of those long cushioned tables when she asked me to hold up my right arm and resist her trying to push it back down. She poked and proded (like kinesiologists do) around different points on my body. The first point she pressed on sent my arm flying back down on the table. “Hmm.” She said. She tried another point. Same thing. I was totally unable to resist the slight amount of pressure she was applying to my arm. She tested a few different points on my stomach, chest, legs and arms and finally said “Well. It’s what I suspected. You're neurologically confused.”

"Ahhh." I sighed. "Don't I know it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter