Money Can't Buy This
As soon as my hair started to grow out a little bit I was bombarded with the question that has haunted me my entire life: Do you have a perm?
I can’t tell you how irritating and offensive this question is. Irritating because, if you’ve ever seen someone with a perm, you’d know that the texture of my hair is very different. In fact it’s completely different. Offensive because, really, do I look like the kind of person who would get a perm? Let’s just be honest.
People with straight hair get some slack – I mean, how would they really know? But the other day I was doing a middle school program for a teacher with crazy, curly, frizzy hair when I was asked the question: “Did you perm your hair? I don’t remember it being so curly the last time I saw you.”
“Ohh – ha, no. It gets curlier as it gets longer,” I said, when what I really wanted to say was “Are you fucking kidding me? Don’t you know how to recognize your own kind?! Get a hold of yourself, woman!”
I decided, after not even being recognized as an honest-to-goodness-natural-curly-girl by someone in the family that the next time I’m asked the question I’ll simply answer: No. Do you think perms look this good?

3 Comments:
Well you said she had crazy frizzy curly hair. Maybe she doesn't recognize you as one of her kind because she doesn't think her hair could look that good...she's just begging you to enlighten her on how to manage her curly locks.
good response.
believe me, if i had my copy of Curly Girl on me i would have just given it to her. for the sake of humanity.
Post a Comment
<< Home