Here's To One Swell Gal

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Shot in the face by San Valentino

You might think it's just a coincidence that I didn't post yesterday. But you would be mistaken. See, I was so busy trying to avoid the googly-eyed lovers, headache-inducing colognes and flashing red hearts that accompany February the 14th that I was just too exhausted to think of anything interesting to say. Actually, I'm still too exhausted to think of anything interesting to say but well, I don't want to lose the two readers I have so I figured I'd better get trying.

Though I am one swell single gal, I can't help but be the bitter-down-with-love girl when it comes to be this time of year. Yes, I am that girl. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I haven't had a date for Valentine's Day since high school. True, I don't necessarily want one, but one can't help but feel bad on a day that's designed to make anyone not in a relationship feel lonely. And yes, I think they do that on purpose so that we'll call up those old boyfriends and girlfriends and beg reconciliation out of sheer desperation, end up getting back together and in a series of rash, uninformed decisions, decide to get married and buy a house in the suburbs and an SUV and are so busy buying things we don't need from WalMart and Bed, Bath & Beyond that we forget to notice how unhappy and dysfunctional our relationship is until one day we find ourselves going through our shelves and writing our name on the inside of the books we don't want the other person to have.

It's an economy based on weddings and divorces and yes, it is a conspiracy.

So, I declare this day the thank your lucky stars you're single and don't have to try to pretend you like the ugly flowers your "special friend" sent you. Indeed, I say women of the world, raise your right hand and give that pudgy, squirrely little San Valentino the finger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter